About THE PROGRAM
For the Novice and Middle school programs 6th – 12th grade students from any Bay Area School are welcome to join the Pacific Rowing Club Youth Rowing Program. No experience necessary.
Our competitive 8th-12th grade program runs 12 months each year with practice occurring 6 days a week, with scheduled summer breaks and select holidays from the competitive season.
The fall season includes concentrated training, head races, community service and our annual Row-A-Thon fundraiser. The Spring Season is our true racing season with high level competitions at league regattas. We travel for a few regattas during this time to either Seattle or San Diego and our elite rowers attend the Head of Charles in Boston. During the summer, all rowers are highly encouraged to continue their training at our boathouse where our coaches work with them individually.
Boat selection is based upon fitness level, strength to size ratio, technical ability, coach-ability, competitiveness, teamwork, leadership, attendance, positive attitude, sportsmanship and general athletic potential.
Our program strives to:
- Provide excellent coaching and rigorous training in the fundamentals of rowing.
- Teach persistence, determination, responsibility and commitment.
- Help all team members fulfill their potential and develop the character to thrive in difficult training and competition.
- Develop a sense of teamwork and shared purpose – the understanding that on a s successful crew, everyone works for a common goal.
- Help rowers focus on exercise and good nutrition as the build a foundation for a lifetime of fitness, self-esteem and good health.
The general practice schedule is listed on the Practice page but varies slightly based on upcoming race events and national holidays. For specific upcoming events please refer to the Upcoming Events page.
To secure a slot in the Novice or Varsity Program Learn-to-Row Program refer to the Registration page, and follow the prompts for the Junior Program (Fall, Winter or Spring depending on the time of year).
If you have further questions please contact us.